May 1, 2008

BTT: Mayday

From Booking Through Thursday:

Quick! It’s an emergency! You just got an urgent call about a family emergency and had to rush to the airport with barely time to grab your wallet and your passport. But now, you’re stuck at the airport with nothing to read. What do you do??

And, no, you did NOT have time to grab your bookbag, or the book next to your bed. You were . . . grocery shopping when you got the call and have nothing with you but your wallet and your passport (which you fortuitously brought with you in case they asked for ID in the ethnic food aisle). This is hypothetical, remember….


When I had my old, unreliable car, I actually kept a book in the car in case of a sudden car repair emergency. I did not transfer the book (Tom Clancy's Clear and Present Danger) when I bought my new car, so I wouldn't have one in the car with me as I headed to the airport. Naturally, I would buy one at the shop in the airport; even our little airport has a shop with a few books. Or I might opt for a newspaper or magazines, because those are my usual choices if I'm under stress. I tend to want only bite-sized morsels to read, but I still want to read!

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

Especially if you are worried, I can understand not being able to concentrate on an actual book. Magazines are good for reading in small doses.